Thursday, May 7, 2009

First attempt to a Montessori activity











I have been reading and reading and reading about Purposeful Play through Montessori activities. I have a few books and the Internet has been a plethora of information!

Why Montessori?

After year of teaching preschool, I have really come to believe and understand that children's brains are programmed to learn, but only if they are stimulated at an early age. Observing children can open your eyes to simple things that can be done to accommodate them to be more active participants in their leaning experiences.

* All children have "absorbent" minds

*All children pass through "sensitive" periods

*All children want to learn

*All children learn through play/work

*All children pass through several stages of development

*All children want to be independent

Together these form the core belief upon which the Montessori Method is based!

Now back to our journey. We have just begun! We do not have a room that is dedicated to Montessori activities..yet. I figured you always have to start somewhere.

Today, I tried our first activity. I saw something similar online and decided to see what we had in the house and see how the Munchkin' Man would respond to such activity. The pictures at the top is the activity for today. He had four plates that are four different colors all with a clear jar on top. Also on the table was a basket of sticks that had coordinating colors for the plates. The objective was to put the correct color stick in the jar with the matching plate. Hmm.. did that make sense? I introduced it to him and set him on his way. I was pleasantly surprised at how well he did right away. He seemed to fancy the blue sticks. This activity lasted between 5-10 min, then he was done and began dumping the sticks and doing other things that any 2 year old would do! I would make this as a success.

I look forward to doing more activities and reading more about The Montessori Way!



0 comments:

screen

About Me

My photo
I spend most of my time with my wonderful little boy (aka The Munchkin' Man). I consider myself to be an eco friendly person that is trying to improve my son's world a little at a time. In my spare time..haha.. I am a Stampin' Up Demonstrator.