Monday, July 27, 2009

A HOUSE FAVORITE--- STUFFED ZUCCHINI RECIPE




If your garden is anything like mine, you have TONS of zucchini!! This recipe is a "go to" recipe in our house. I found a recipe years ago and each time I make it I add something new to it!


Ingredients


1 LARGE zucchini (or 2 small) cut lengthwise and in half

1 cup of stock (I use what ever is on hand- I made chicken stock and froze it in 1 cup bags)

1 pound ground meat (I like to use ground turkey)

dried basil

salt

pepper

1 cup cooked quinoa or brown rice

2 carrots grated

2 stalks of celery chopped

1/2 onion chopped (you can add more if you like)

2 cloves garlic grated

Cheddar cheese grated

2 teaspoons tomato paste

** I like to add cherry tomatoes also, but my son and husband so not eat them

You can add any type of quick cooking veggies

1. In deep pan heat stock. Add In zucchini- cut side down. Season to taste with basil, salt and pepper. Let stock come to a boil. Turn zucchini about 2-3 min. Zucchini will be done when the flesh becomes soft. Take zucchini out of pan and set aside.

2. In pan start to brown meat- do not remove stock. When meat is almost cooked, add all vegetables. Stir all ingredients to make sure all are cooked. Add in tomato paste. While this is cooking, take a spoon and scoop out the flesh of the zucchini. Chop flesh and add to mixture. When the vegetables start to get a little tender add in the quinoa or brown rice.

3. Plate your zucchini and then add mixture on top. Immediately add your cheese to the top. If you are not bringing to table right away, you may put the zucchini "boats" with cheese under the broiler to make sure cheese is melted.

We usually don't have any type of side dish with this dinner because it is so very filling. I did make rhubarb cupcakes with organic whipped cream for dessert the last time we had this for dinner. The recipe for the cupcakes was from the Martha Stewart Cupcakes book!
.
This recipe is so very versatile. You can add any vegetables that you have on hand. If you are a vegetarian you can add tofu or just some more veggies. I added the quinoa to the original recipe to bump up the protein. Have fun and enjoy!!

1 comments:

SweetThingsTO said...

What a yummy post! Would be my house favourite too!

screen

About Me

My photo
I spend most of my time with my wonderful little boy (aka The Munchkin' Man). I consider myself to be an eco friendly person that is trying to improve my son's world a little at a time. In my spare time..haha.. I am a Stampin' Up Demonstrator.