Thursday, August 13, 2009

LAST ZUCCHINI FROM GARDEN AND FAST DINNER

It seems like as soon as one meal is done and cleaned up, I have to start making the next meal. Last night we has take out (Sushi yummy.) I knew that I would have to figure out something to actual cook for tonight's dinner . I reached for the old stand by- pasta!! I decided that I would make a quick tomato sauce and add the last zucchini from our garden. I used all ingredients that I always have in the house. Below is the quick and easy recipe:

* 1 large can of organic crushed tomatoes ( I do not have enough tomatoes from the garden yet)

* 1 tiny chopped onion from the farmer's market (or half of medium onion)

* 1 clove of garlic minced or grated on a micoplane

* a couple basil leaves (from the garden)

* a pinch of salt and oregano

* about a tablespoon of sugar (I use organic cane sugar- it cuts down the bitterness)

* 1 chopped zucchini (the small the pieces the faster it cooks)
** my Mom says that if you add a carrot into sauce it cuts down the acid!
I cook the onion and garlic in olive oil. When they start to get tender I just add all other ingredients. While that is cooking on low I cook the pasta. The sauce is ready when the zucchini is tender.

That's it!! Although it is not a gourmet meal, I feel better making this quick sauce than opening a jar. I can not wait till I have enough tomatoes to start making sauce and freezing it. For this meal, I also added eggplant "meatballs." They are vegetarian meatless balls. They actually were not that bad, a little dry, but not bad. I did take a wonderful picture of the finished plate, but somehow deleted it . OOPS!
What is your easy fast weeknight meal?

Here is a picture of my basil bouquet. Every year I seem to let me basil go crazy. I cut half of it tonight. I will run it through the food processor with a bit of oil and freeze it. It is so wonderful to use throughout winter. I just break off a piece and throw it in when ever I need basil!!


0 comments:

screen

About Me

My photo
I spend most of my time with my wonderful little boy (aka The Munchkin' Man). I consider myself to be an eco friendly person that is trying to improve my son's world a little at a time. In my spare time..haha.. I am a Stampin' Up Demonstrator.